Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cousins!

Our trip continued on Tuesday, starting by dropping off James at the Genentech Oceanside offices and then setting a course for Moreno Valley, CA which is between Riverside and Palm Springs. My aunt Angela whom you all know as Peyton's third grandmother (my second mother growing up) and one of his very favorite people lives there, as do her twin daughters, Heidi (Peyton's godmother) and Darlene and their families.

When we made our plans to fly down to San Diego, Peyton immediately demanded to see his cousins, thus this day trip was born!

Southern California is known for being very spread out, but Moreno Valley is just over an hour's drive from Oceanside and the landscape is very similar to driving on the East Bay in Northern California.

We arrived at Angela's house and Darlene pulled up with Manuel and baby Ruby. Manuel is 2 weeks younger than Peyton. Ruby is 3 months old and I was so excited to meet my new little niece!!

I wanted to keep Peyton entertained in the car, so I let him bring some dinosaurs and the iPad. The dinosaurs came in with us (as did the iPad, but it stayed in my bag all day - three possessive 3 and 4 year olds fighting over one iPad didn't sound like a good reunion).

Peyton and Manuel got along great and Peyton became infatuated with Ruby.


I think if not for Manuel, the dinosaurs, and the eventual arrival of Heidi and her boys, Peyton would have stayed right here with Ruby for as long as she'd let him. She certainly didn't mind all of his affection. :-)



Heidi arrived a little while later with Santiago (34 months) and Estevan, the newest member of our expanding family - just two sweet months old. Look at my little nephew; isn't he just adorable?!?



Peyton felt right at home with his cousins, Tias (aunts), and abuelos (grandparents). There was no anxiety or bashfulness exhibited, which amazed me as he can get very clingy to me when around new people. But, I suppose blood is blood and he knew this was "home". He certainly loves his Tia Darla!


When James and I were here a few years ago, Santiago was about 6 months old and I took a picture of Angela holding him (below, left). We decided to do a similar picture with Estevan (below, right).


The older boys had a wonderful late morning snack/breakfast, then played outside with balls, dinosaurs, and tricycles. It started to get hot around Noon, so we brought them inside to cool off and watch some of Gnomeo and Juliet.























I couldn't help taking this picture of all their feet. Peyton and Manuel both sit with their feet pointed in. Peyton and Santiago seem to have the same calves!















 
Peyton wanted to give Santiago a little love.
















Ruby decided to take a nap. The thing that struck me most about Ruby is that she looks almost identical to my grandmother Agustina, Peyton's middle namesake and my Mom and Angela's mother. The cheeks, the smile, the eyes - it's amazing!!






















As the afternoon continued, we played games and then tried getting the boys to sit for family pictures.




Then, it was time to say goodbye, so Peyton kissed Ruby and Estevan. He's so good with babies (no, don't get any ideas)!


Since Peyton's birthday fell right around Ruby's birth and Heidi's 36th week, they presented Peyton with his birthday present while we were there. The boys had fun playing with the Memory Game, before said goodbye.



Peyton got to get a picture with Heidi and Estevan, and me with the twins and Ruby and Estevan.



It was so wonderful to see my family and all the children. Now, I have to take a few physics courses so that I can build a transporter system. I hate that we're so far away from each other!





No comments: